It seems like every day there’s a terrorist attack somewhere. That’s bad enough, but people have gotten so used to hearing about them on the news that it’s become ‘old hat.’ I don’t mean any disrespect when I write that.
Instead, I mean to suggest that people are getting desensitized to attacks. Though not always, the recent story seems to play out the same:
- A “lone wolf” plans and executes an attack
- ISIS claims responsibility
- Upon investigation, it’s discovered that the maniac was on police radar for making threats before, but (for whatever reason) no one took him seriously
- Politicians call for a crack-down on terrorism
- People swear a fanatic religion is not to blame, though adherents of the religion never denounce the attacks
- A hashtag is created (#Prayfor (insert city here)
- Rise and repeat
I, for one, am getting tired of this charade. It’s time we take real action to prevent terror attacks, and dole out real punishment in their wake: for the perpetrators, their families, and anyone else who could have stopped their plans from becoming a dismal reality – including the keystone cops who always seem to look the other way. Enough!
by Eugene Pierfekt